Monday 6 August 2007

Just for the record

I have to respond to Graham's post. I tried not to, but it is so full of errors that I just have to comment.

On 'A Face in the Crowd, part IV': Graham, you never understood this. It's essential to the overall piece because it acts as a still point at the centre. Jen's "complex and wonderfully haunting bass line" I had a really good laugh about. Jen for once missed the point of this music too and overcomplicated it. Removing it, and simplifying the percussion, was essential to return it to its essence. So now there's no endless banging away by the drummer, thank goodness.

"I Keep the One I Love in the Freezer" was a very sick song, Graham. I was never comfortable singing it and it is your worst lyric. And as for representative, what planet are you on? It was the least representative of our music. For me it was far too close to the commercial "single" that we were always trying to avoid, though having said that I can't imagine a song about that subject in the charts somehow. I think you were mistaking the cheering at the end of performances of it for appreciation - personally I think they were just glad it had stopped.

So pleased you're worried about my mental health old mate. It's a shame you didn't show your concern a bit sooner, isn't it? You never liked a mystery, did you - everything in Grahamworld always has to be so controlled and logical and understood. The world's not like that. Maybe you're happier now you're a bank manager or whatever mundane humdrum job it is you do, but some of us just think there's a little bit more.

No comments: